September 9, 2021
This policy explains what the Cookie Technologies are and why we use them and your rights to control our use of them. In some cases, the Cookie Technologies collect personal information, or information that when combined with other information becomes personal information.
Cookies and Why we use them
A “cookie” is a small data file that is stored on your computer or device when you visit our Websites. Sending a cookie to a user’s computer or device through the browser enables us, or another website that recognizes that cookie, to collect Non-Personal information about that user and keep a record of the user’s preferences when utilizing our services, both on an individual and aggregate basis.
Cookies are widely used to make websites work, or to work more efficiently, as well as to provide reporting information. Cookies set on our Websites are “first party cookies”. Cookies set by our affiliates, partners, or other parties, are called “third party cookies”. Third party cookies enable third party features or functionality to be provided on or through the website (e.g. like advertising, interactive content and analytics). The parties that set these third party cookies can recognize users’ computers or devices both when it visits the website in question and also when it visits certain other websites.
Cookie Technologies used in connection with your use of the Services will generally fall within one of the following categories:
- Necessary functionality: These Cookie Technologies (“Essential Cookies”) are essential to enable you to navigate all MARI websites and products and access the Services in a safe and secure manner.
- Important functionality: These Cookie Technologies help us authenticate registered members, remember your profession, specialty, preferences and content interests so that we can provide an enhanced and more personalized user experience.
- Performance and Analytics: These Cookie Technologies provide data on how the Services are functioning to help us improve the performance of the Services and the user experience.
- Advertising/Marketing Services: These Cookie Technologies are used to deliver advertisements within MARI websites and products and on third party sites that are more relevant to you and your interests based on your content browsing activity, use of the Services and in some cases, other information about you that we or our advertisers have obtained from other sources. Cookie Technologies may be used to limit the number of times you see a particular advertisement and as a measure of the effectiveness of an advertising campaign.
Other technologies you may encounter in the use of our Services, like web beacons, are small graphics files that contain a unique identifier that enable us to recognize when someone has visited the websites or opened an email that contains them. These technologies may be used to monitor the traffic patterns of users between pages, to deliver or communicate with cookies, to understand whether users were directed to the websites from an online advertisement displayed on a third-party website, to improve site performance, and to measure the success of email marketing campaigns. In many instances, these technologies are reliant on cookies to function properly, and so declining cookies will impair their functioning.
We and our affiliated partners may use Cookie Technologies to
- collect information about a users device including the IP address (which provides non-precise location information), unique device identifier (which is different than the device’s serial number), cookie information, advertising ID (which is a unique, user-resettable identification number for advertising associated with a mobile device), browser information (including referring URL), operating system, mobile carrier, device settings and App version and usage information, all of which we may associate with information about your use of the Services.
When enabled by you, we collect precise location information provided by your computer or device, which you may disable through the computer or device settings. Most browser software can be set to reject all cookies, including third party cookies, however, if you choose to reject our cookies, your ability to access and use the Services will be limited. Essential cookies cannot be rejected as they are strictly necessary to provide you with services.
You can opt-out of interest-based advertising on our Websites by rejecting cookies and through the preferences manager or here if you are located in the European Union (EU). Please note that even if you reject cookies and opt-out of interest-based advertising, you will continue to receive generic advertisements through our Websites.
You can learn more about managing your preferences for ads online, particularly for many third-party advertising networks, through resources made available by the Digital Advertising Alliance at https://www.aboutads.info/ or the Network Advertising Initiative at https://optout.networkadvertising.org. Note that if you delete cookies, use a different device, or change web browsers, you may need to opt out again.
For questions or concerns regarding our cookie usage, please email us at [email protected].